The Rockshire community, a planned community comprising residences, neighborhood shopping, and recreational facilities, is one of the largest in the City of Rockville. It consists of 753 single-family and townhomes. Developed in 1971 on agricultural land that originally belonged to Dr. Thomas S. Wootton, a prominent Maryland legislator whose resolution in August 1776 created Montgomery and Washington Counties out of the original Frederick County, and, who in 1777 became the first Speaker of the new Maryland House of Delegates. His son, Richard, built a mill along Watts Branch Creek in the 1790s, in what is now Wootton’s Mill Park the exterior of the miller’s original log house stands preserved on a hill above the old mill’s site.
Rockshire has a community center, a large pool, with a wonderful swim team, a separate baby-pool and three playgrounds on 17 acres of common area surrounded by protected parkland. The community is convenient to commuter routes and shopping.
All the public schools that serve the Rockshire area are within walking distance of most of the residences: two elementary schools which are Fallsmead and Lakewood, Robert Frost Junior High School and Thomas S. Wootton High School, all rated among the top schools in Montgomery County and the nation.